In his Message for Lent 2015, Pope Francis points out that, as individuals, we are tempted by indifference to the poorest in the world who suffer from injustice, as well as hunger and drought. “Flooded with news reports and troubling images of human suffering” the Pope says “we often feel our complete inability to help. What can we do to avoid being caught up in this spiral of distress and powerlessness?”
“First, we can pray in communion with the Church on earth and in heaven. Let us not underestimate the power of so many voices united in prayer! Second, we can help by acts of charity, reaching out to both those near and far through the Church’s many charitable organizations. Lent is a favourable time for showing this concern for others by small yet concrete signs of our belonging to the one human family.” (Pope Francis)
Trocaire is playing its part in responding to the Holy Father’s appeal. Mahlet (13) is the girl on this year’s Trócaire Box. She comes from a small mountainous village in Ethiopia that is suffering from an ongoing drought due to climate change. The community is working harder than ever to support themselves, but the unreliable rainfall is making it difficult to grow their crops. Trócaire is working to change this. With your support Trocaire is helping hard working communities in some of the poorest parts of the world to adapt to the changing climate, and grow food for their families to eat. For children like Mahlet, fighting drought means better health and more nutritious food.
Below are some sources of information on the Trocaire’s appeal for Lent 2015 and how individuals and parishes can play an active role in the Pope’s ‘campaign against global indifference’ to the suffering of the poor:
For Parishes and Chaplains:
- Pastoral Resource for Parishes and Chaplains: http://www.trocaire.org/sites/trocaire/files/pdfs/parishes/12complete-parish-lenten-resource.pdf
- Children’s Liturgy/ Sacred Space: http://www.trocaire.org/sites/trocaire/files/pdfs/parishes/1childrens-lenten-liturgy-resource.pdf
- Parish Newsletter Inserts: http://www.trocaire.org/sites/trocaire/files/pdfs/parishes/7parish-newsletter-inserts.pdf
Schools & Education Resources:
- Primary: http://www.trocaire.org/education/lent2015/primary
- Post Primary: http://www.trocaire.org/education/lent2015/post-primary
- Lent Fast/ Fundraising Schools: http://www.trocaire.org/takeaction/fundraise
Please share any photographs you might have of fundraising initiatives, solidarity events, sacred spaces/ Lenten displays, Lenten Parish gatherings with us via social media at….
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/trocaireireland
- Twitter:……… @trocaire
Multimedia for Presentations & Websites:
- Trócaire Channel: www.icatholic.ie
- ‘Introducing Lent’ – Short Video: https://vimeo.com/119324617
- ‘Climate Change Explained’ – Short Video: https://vimeo.com/112042837
- ‘Lent Prezi’ – Powerpoint for use with schools & Parish groups: https://vimeo.com/117375380
Finally, for those of you using smart phones … You can now have your Trócaire box with you at all times during Lent …. Simply download the Trócaire box app (Powered by JustGiving) from the Apple App Store or Google Playstore.